You requested it, and I aim to please…. Did you know a typical mojito is somewhere between 150-250 calories? It can really range, although I’m guessing many go a little higher, depending on how sweet you like them. I lightened it up a bit and have gotten it down to 89 calories. You can’t go completely crazy with them, but you can have one (or two) without feeling the least bit guilty. 🙂
Start with some rum, fresh mint, a lime, frozen lemonade concentrate, and…. something I recently came across at the store — MetroMint water. It is fantastic!!! When drinks have a lot of ingredients, I generally take that to mean they’re probably not very healthy. Vitamin Water is hyped up as a healthy drink, but have you seen the ingredient list? MetroMint has purified water and mint essence. That’s all. SOLD! (P.S. They also have a chocolate mint water. It might sound a little weird, but it tastes like a drink version of Andes Mints. I’m in love.)
Lightened Up Mojitos
- 2 T fresh mint
- 1 generously-sized lime wedges
- 1 oz rum
- 1/2 tablespoon frozen lemonade concentrate
- 12 oz MetroMint water
- Muddle your mint in your glass. This is much easier if you have a mortar and pestle or whatever they’re called…. My version is a big spoon in a pretty sturdy glass.
- Squeeze as much of the lime juice out as you can. Really get your fingers in there and squish it around.
- Stir in an ounce of rum. I smoosh the mint around a bit more during this part.
- Stir in half a tablespoon of lemonade concentrate. You can add more if you like your drinks sweeter, but keep in mind that each 1/2 tablespoon equals about 18 calories. It sounds small, but it’s pretty easy to get up to the 150 calorie mark if you’re not careful.
- Pour in 12 oz of mint water and mix well.
- Add some ice.
- Kick back and enjoy!
Here’s where I should insert a photo of myself totally boozing it up just for you. For your sake. For your health (ha!). Because I make sacrifices like drinking mojitos on a Monday night just for you. Because I care.