I needed something quick, easy, and low-cal to bring for my team breakfast today. So, I grabbed some ultra-thin sliced deli ham and a small carton of egg whites. I knew I had swiss cheese at home and figured it was a good enough start to something.
I started with a 9×12 casserole dish and sprayed it lightly with nonstick spray. I layered the ham in the bottom of the dish.
Next, I sprinkled 1 cup of shredded Swiss cheese over the ham.
I poured the carton of egg white on, but it looked like it was missing something. I sprinkled on season salt and freshly ground black pepper (I bought salt and pepper grinders yesterday, and they are SO COOL!). It still looked like it was missing something, so I added about a teaspoon of dried basil and some leftover roasted yellow and orange peppers (from our weekly Chef Salad Night).
I put it in the oven at 350 and let it bake for about 35 minutes.
And I know this isn’t the humble way to go about it, but it was DELICIOUS! In my opinion, at least. Here’s the best part: 1 piece = 107 calories, and it’s a generous piece. WOO HOO!!! I love kitchen experiments that turn out well!
Ham and Cheese Breakfast Bake
- 9 oz Hillshire Farms Ultrathin Smoked Deli Ham
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 small carton of egg whites (the store-bought egg whites don’t turn that strange color of gray that happens when you separate your own egg whites)
- 1/2 cup roasted yellow/orange bell peppers
- 1 tsp dried basil
- Season salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Lightly spray a 9×13 pan with nonstick spray.
- Evenly spread deli ham in pan.
- Sprinkle Swiss cheese on ham.
- Pour egg whites over cheese and ham.
- Sprinkle roasted peppers and basil over mixture.
- Season with season salt and black pepper to taste (by “to taste” I mean to your preference, not by actually tasting it because raw egg is nasty!).
- Bake at 350 for about 35 minutes.
I’m totally bragging here, but it was DELICIOUS!!! I will definitely be making it again soon. I knew it was on the lighter side overall, but didn’t know how much until after I’d eaten and enjoyed every bite.
Makes 8 servings
Calories per serving: 107
Fat grams per serving: 4.6
Protein grams per serving: 12.5