I’m a major fan of shrimp. Cooking Light has a fantastic collection of low-calorie recipes posted here. Here’s one that stands out as extra tempting!
Spicy Shrimp and Grits
Crank up the heat (in your weeknight meal, that is!) and serve a spicy version of this Southern favorite.
- 3 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking grits
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 4 slices applewood-smoked bacon
- 1 pound peeled, deveined large shrimp
- 1 cup thinly vertically sliced white onion
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce or chopped chipotle chile, canned in adobo sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon ground or crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup green onion strips
- 1. Combine milk, water, butter, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer; gradually add grits, stirring constantly with a whisk. Reduce heat to medium; cook 4 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in cheese.
- 2. While grits cook, cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings; crumble bacon. Add shrimp to drippings in pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until done. Remove shrimp from pan. Add white onion to pan; sauté 1 minute. Stir in bacon, tomatoes, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/8 teaspoon black pepper; sauté 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add shrimp, pepper sauce, and red pepper; cook 1 minute or until shrimp are heated. Serve over grits; sprinkle with green onions.
David Bonom, Cooking Light
- Calories: 510
- Fat: 15.9g
- Saturated fat: 7.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Protein: 41.1g
- Carbohydrate: 49.5g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Cholesterol: 206mg
- Iron: 5mg
- Sodium: 972mg
- Calcium: 481mg