This is from Delish.com. For the full article, click here: http://www.delish.com/recipes/cooking-recipes/low-calorie-lunches
Toasted Pita and Bean Salad
Yields: 4 servings, about 2 cups each
Total Time: 30 min
- 2 whole-wheat pita breads, cut or torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 clove(s) garlic, peeled
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) salt
- 2 tablespoon(s) fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon(s) ground toasted cumin seeds (see Tips & Techniques)
- 3 tablespoon(s) extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 cup(s) cooked pinto beans, well drained and slightly warmed (see How to Cook a Pot of Beans, below)
- 1 cup(s) diced plum tomatoes or 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 cup(s) sliced romaine lettuce
- 1 cup(s) crumbled feta cheese
- 3 tablespoon(s) chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoon(s) chopped fresh mint
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Spread pita pieces out on a large baking sheet. Bakeuntil crisp and beginning to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Let cool on the pan.
- Mash garlic and salt with the back of a chef’s knife to form a paste. Transfer to a bowl, add lemon juice and ground cumin and whisk to blend. Add oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking continually. Season with pepper.
- Place beans, tomatoes, and cucumber in a serving bowl. Add the toasted pita, lettuce, feta, parsley, mint, and the dressing; toss to mix. Season with more pepper. Serve immediately.
Carb Servings: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 medium fat meat, 2 fat Carbohydrate Servings: 2 Nutrition Bonus: Folate (49% daily value), Vitamin A (38% dv), Vitamin C (30% dv), Calcium (28% dv), Iron (22% dv), Magnesium (21% dv), Potassium (19% dv).